Make a Memory (Game Idea)
Once a year we have an event called “Make a Memory”. The idea – you guessed it! – is to have an event that the students will always remember. Those kind of events are so valuable for helping students connect to one another and build relationships. It’s so much fun hearing the inside jokes that last for months at a time.
Here’s how it works. Divide your group up into small teams, and make sure each team has a camera. It’s also a good idea to have an adult leader with each team. A fun location to do this is at the local mall, though you can do a city-wide version if vehicles and drivers are available. Each team is given the same list of captions. Their job is to a take a picture to match that caption. The funnier and more creative, the better! Be sure to stress the importance of being polite and not breaking any laws. You’d be surprised what you can get away with!
Take time to compile each teams picture with the caption into a slideshow and show the whole group. It’s also a fun thing to show on Sunday morning to the rest of the congregation.
Below is a copy-and-pasted version of the handout we give each team. Hope it’s helpful!
- Teams must stay together at all times
- All pictures must be taken with the same camera
- NO RUNNING in the mall (speed-walking only)
- All team members must be visible in every picture (except for the person taking the picture)
- A different person needs to take each picture
- Areas off limit: bathrooms, jewelry stores, La Senza, LCBO, IDA
- Please don’t do anything illegal!
- Each team must be back in the food court by the designated time
Pictures to Take
- You’d better call tech support
- Romeo and Juliet
- Bling bling!
- Gone fishing
- How many people can we fit in here?
- These people were willing to pose with us
- This reminds me of our youth pastor
- Struck by Cupid!
- How high can we go?
- I couldn’t do this by myself
- There are trolls by the bridge
- Now that’s a hero
- All aboard!
- What’s there to eat around this place?
- Enjoying the arcade
- This is totally random
- Doing the laundry
- We look like a band
- This is not what shopping carts are used for
- A nice relaxing massage
- This ride is meant for kids
- We got to meet a celebrity
- Ahhhh! A grizzly bear!
- We can catch that goose
- Class is in session
- How far can we spread out and still be in the picture?